Re: [SLUG] How to keep them straight?

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 06:53:51 EDT

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 23:17, Paul Bransford <draeath@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> You might check and see if you can specify what is what based on the MAC
> address. I'm not familiar with out Arch does this, but every other
> distro I've played around with that was not statically configured
> (Debian, CentOS, Fedora, etc) this was possible.

I though that was the key to it, but I kept on finding only references
to using two cards to split the load and provide redundancy. After seeing
your note I went and took a whack at it again and found a single ref

FYI and just in case someone else runs into it, this it how to do it.

--------------------------------------------------SoT------------------------------------------------

Under Arch Linux, your network cards are sometimes named differently between two
reboot. Configuring your network connection is hard if you don't know
if you card will
be called eth0 or eth1

A file /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules.optional
can be used to tell
udev to generate persistent network rules.

It's very simple:

mv /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules.optional
/etc/udev/rules.d/
75-persistent-net-generator.rules

Reboot your system. A /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file has been
generated. Now you can disable the generator:

mv /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-
net-generator.rules.optional
---------------------------------------------------EoT---------------------------------------------------------

Once you do that you will find a new set of rules
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the
wicked beareth rule the people mourn. Prov 29:2 KJV
-----

www.wchast.com
Demo and test site
www.wchast.com/zm