Re: [SLUG-POL] FW: Explaining the benefits of Linux

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 23:54:39 EDT

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:21:51PM -0400, Dennis Tribble wrote:

> I went to a jobsite where I was asked to upgrade the motherboard and cpu in
> a pc running OEM version of MS Windows. When I told them they would also
> have to purchase a new license for Windows they said I was crazy and asked
> me to leave.

Um, I'm not sure why they need to get a new Windows license. Presumably
they already have a license for the copy they're using. I wasn't aware
that normal Windows licenses were that restrictive. I would assume that
if Windows woke up with the same hard drive but a different cpu, it
would ponder a bit and adjust itself. I haven't read the license, but I
assume that it says the user has the right to use _this_ copy of Windows
on their machine (regardless of whether it's OEM or not).

Paul