Re: [SLUG-POL] FW: Explaining the benefits of Linux

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 01:05:09 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:21:51PM -0400, Dennis Tribble wrote:
>

> > I went to a jobsite where I was asked to upgrade the motherboard and cpu in
> > a pc running OEM version of MS Windows. When I told them they would also
> > have to purchase a new license for Windows they said I was crazy and asked
> > me to leave.
> >

> Um, I'm not sure why they need to get a new Windows license. Presumably
> they already have a license for the copy they're using. I wasn't aware
> that normal Windows licenses were that restrictive. I would assume that
> if Windows woke up with the same hard drive but a different cpu, it
> would ponder a bit and adjust itself. I haven't read the license, but I
> assume that it says the user has the right to use _this_ copy of Windows
> on their machine (regardless of whether it's OEM or not).
>
> Paul

But woudldn't it be considered a new machine if they got a new
motherboard AND processor, ergo neding a new licence for Windows? I
mean, that's how I thought it worked. The license does not pertain to
the owner and his rights, but rather to the ability of the owner to put
it on one and only one machine (if you read the license carefully you
also notice that technically you don't OWN the software, you merely rent
it for a one time fee of $xxx.xx (at least pre-"We've caught you in the
.NET")). Technically a functional computer consists of a motherboard,
processor and RAM. Keyboard, video card and monitor make it semi-useful,
a hard drive and disk drives make it fully functional for presonal use
and everything else is just details. This is why it's technically
illegal to sell your old copy of Windows when oyu decide that GNU/Linux
(or *BSD if you're a hardcore massochist) is the way to go.

By the way, shouldn't this conversation (at least the main question) be
in the regular list? I mean, you could probably get more sources and....
hey, Ed's not on Politics, is he? Ed, you got any links for this? ;)
*hee hee hee*

Norb