Re: [SLUG-POL] FW: Explaining the benefits of Linux

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 17:53:41 EDT

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 01:05:09AM -0400, Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:21:51PM -0400, Dennis Tribble wrote:
> >

> > > I went to a jobsite where I was asked to upgrade the motherboard and cpu in
> > > a pc running OEM version of MS Windows. When I told them they would also
> > > have to purchase a new license for Windows they said I was crazy and asked
> > > me to leave.
> > >

> > Um, I'm not sure why they need to get a new Windows license. Presumably
> > they already have a license for the copy they're using. I wasn't aware
> > that normal Windows licenses were that restrictive. I would assume that
> > if Windows woke up with the same hard drive but a different cpu, it
> > would ponder a bit and adjust itself. I haven't read the license, but I
> > assume that it says the user has the right to use _this_ copy of Windows
> > on their machine (regardless of whether it's OEM or not).
> >
> > Paul
>

> But woudldn't it be considered a new machine if they got a new
> motherboard AND processor, ergo neding a new licence for Windows? I
> mean, that's how I thought it worked. The license does not pertain to
> the owner and his rights, but rather to the ability of the owner to put
> it on one and only one machine (if you read the license carefully you
> also notice that technically you don't OWN the software, you merely rent
> it for a one time fee of $xxx.xx (at least pre-"We've caught you in the
> .NET")). Technically a functional computer consists of a motherboard,
> processor and RAM. Keyboard, video card and monitor make it semi-useful,
> a hard drive and disk drives make it fully functional for presonal use
> and everything else is just details. This is why it's technically
> illegal to sell your old copy of Windows when oyu decide that GNU/Linux
> (or *BSD if you're a hardcore massochist) is the way to go.

Yeah, but when does your computer become not your computer? If I change
out a display card, is it a new computer? I'll bet the Microsoft license
doesn't spell this out. It probably only says you can run the software
on _one_ computer. Which will be the case if you change out the MB.

> By the way, shouldn't this conversation (at least the main question) be
> in the regular list? I mean, you could probably get more sources and....
> hey, Ed's not on Politics, is he? Ed, you got any links for this? ;)
> *hee hee hee*

Well, it could have been a volatile issue, though it doesn't seem to
have turned out that way.

I think Ed avoids politics. I think it's too contentious for him.

Paul