Re: [SLUG-POL] The Lunatic state of California

From: Smitty (76543a@mpinet.net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 16:59:03 EDT

On Friday 15 June 2001 18:48, you wrote:
> Forwarded because it got bounced:

> From: slug-politics@nks.net
> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:07:54 -0400
> From: Isaiah Weiner <iweiner@redhat.com>
> To: slug-politics@nks.net
> Subject: Re: [SLUG-POL] The lunatic state of california
> Jun 15, 2001 at 08:43:38AM -0400
>
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 08:43:38AM -0400, Smitty wrote:
> > I reread the comment you cited and that fellow would likely have been
> > un_sub_scribed from the SLUG list for his rude, insulting comments that
> > were not provoked. He appears to be an anti-social personality who was
> > really referring to himself in his description. I was invited onto the
> > ncsu by a sub_scriber. After a few weeks decided that the signal to
> > noise ratio was very low and not worth the bandwidth. The SLUG list is
> > governed by very good policy which keeps it stable and on-topic.
>
> . . . and at the same time crushes the spirit of the movement. You
> *NEED* eccentricity like that in a productive LUG. I've given talks to
> literally dozens of LUGs and ACM chapters all across the country. Those
> that swear, keep the faith. Those that attempt to modify the behavior of
> their members do not benefit the open source community as a whole. You end
> up with a hundred half-hearted people. I've seen it time and time again
> over the last 7 years I've been "on the scene". :P

We have an outlet for eccentricity, the slug-politics list. This policy here,
as was articulated by somebody quite sometime ago is: "No Rules, Just
Fight" which implies totally free speech. We do not overtly or covertly
attempt behavior mod on anyone Isaiah. This list has no censorship, no
scripts that alter curse words or phrases that may offend the moral codes
of certain folks. By not subscribing to the slug-politics list, one is
opting out of being exposed to controversial subjects and rough language.
My gratitude goes to Paul Foster for starting this list. It is really an
excellent idea. The main list is for linux related matters presented in
a neutral manner. We want the maximum number of folks getting help and
more knowledge about linux as is possible. For those who wish to stray
from that subject or just discuss it using vulgarity, we have the politics
list. With most lugs, you do NOT have such a choice. I have been a member
of three other lugs and only one of which was orderly and productive
like the slug main list is. The other two of which the ncsu list was one,
regularly degenerated into name calling and partisan politics.

> > > You're calling something *psychotic*. Do you have ANY idea the
> > > gravity of that word?
> >
> > It may have peculiar connotations for you, Isaiah. I use it per the
> > dictionary definition.
>
> Which dictionary? It's a medical term, you should be using the latest
> revision of the DSM for it. I am.

The Oxford English dictionary. The term goes back long before psychiatry
existed and is part of the english language. I do not care to use the DSM IV
as psychiatry is not a science, but a government financed control operation.
Periodically, these psychiatrists get together and make up some "diseases"
that they can "treat" to put more money in their pockets. Just go back and
compare the DSM III with IV, or II with III or IV and see for yourself.
Smitty