Re: [SLUG-POL] The Lunatic state of California

From: Isaiah Weiner (iweiner@redhat.com)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 00:10:55 EDT

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 11:22:02PM -0400, Smitty wrote:
> Psych treatments often backfire and result in mass murders that perhaps
> you are not away of.

    I have a friend going to school in Florida who is bipolar. The
nurse practioner who treated him misdiagnosed his condition and gave him
a drug in the same family as prozac. This aggrevated the manic portion of
his disorder, and he stopped sleeping, eating, and talking. He had to be
given fairly large doses of an anti-psychotic drug to even stabilize his
condition. That's the second case of misdiagnosis I've personally seen in
the last 10 years. I think it's a fallacy and a hyperbole to say it
happens often, when you have no real numbers to reflect it. ;)

--
    - Isaiah