Re: [SLUG-POL] The Lunatic state of California

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 18:20:14 EDT

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 03:08:19PM -0400, Isaiah Weiner wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 02:35:03AM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 11:58:48PM -0400, Isaiah Weiner wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> > > "Brutal treatments" is pretty vague . . .
> > >

> > Trans-orbital leukotomy? Pre-frontal lobotomy?
>
> I'm going to group those procedures into the category below.
> Absolutely every psychiatrist I've ever, EVER met would NEVER recommend
> something like that. As I go through my contacts in various shoeboxes,
> I've counted so far 173 psychiatrists, and 291 psychologists. Some state
> institutions, some private hospitals, some private practices, and some
> non-practicing.

You're talking about the U.S. I'm betting these procedures are still
done in other parts of the world, under that aegis of "psychiatry".
(Truth told, I'll bet they're also done here in the U.S., though less
so.) Often psychiatrists are used to make inconvenient people
"tractable".

> > > "Electric shock" therapy hasn't been used by anyone sane for well over
> > > a decade. Perhaps you should leave Florida. It has "interesting" laws
> > > about committing patients against their will. :P
> > >

> > Really? How about my sister-in-law, a teacher who checked herself in for
> > this and now can't remember things well enough to teach? She was in New
> > York. And she wasn't insane at all. She was tense, nervous, and fretted a
> > lot about things. And some idiot convinced her this would be a good idea.
> > Worse, there is no sound theory to back up ECT. It has little practical
> > effect beyond exactly what you'd expect: it scrambles your mind. I fail
> > to see what's therapeutic about that.
>
> How long ago was this?

About three years ago.

Paul