Re: [SLUG-POL] The Lunatic state of California

From: Isaiah Weiner (iweiner@redhat.com)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 15:08:19 EDT

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 02:35:03AM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 11:58:48PM -0400, Isaiah Weiner wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > "Brutal treatments" is pretty vague . . .
> >

> Trans-orbital leukotomy? Pre-frontal lobotomy?

    I'm going to group those procedures into the category below.
Absolutely every psychiatrist I've ever, EVER met would NEVER recommend
something like that. As I go through my contacts in various shoeboxes,
I've counted so far 173 psychiatrists, and 291 psychologists. Some state
institutions, some private hospitals, some private practices, and some
non-practicing.

> > "Electric shock" therapy hasn't been used by anyone sane for well over
> > a decade. Perhaps you should leave Florida. It has "interesting" laws
> > about committing patients against their will. :P
> >

> Really? How about my sister-in-law, a teacher who checked herself in for
> this and now can't remember things well enough to teach? She was in New
> York. And she wasn't insane at all. She was tense, nervous, and fretted a
> lot about things. And some idiot convinced her this would be a good idea.
> Worse, there is no sound theory to back up ECT. It has little practical
> effect beyond exactly what you'd expect: it scrambles your mind. I fail
> to see what's therapeutic about that.

    How long ago was this?

    As I said, "hasn't been used by anyone sane"; that's referring to the
idiot that let it happen.

--
    - Isaiah