Re: [SLUG-POL] The Lunatic state of California

From: Isaiah Weiner (iweiner@redhat.com)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 15:14:59 EDT

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 03:22:22AM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Ah, this is wonderful for the fields of psychiatry and psychology! More
> and more and more money!

    If you choose to go to one, perhaps. There are lots of types of
therapists -- family members, friends, registered therapists without
degrees. I think you'll find the last group doesn't charge anywhere near
as much as a psychologist or psychiatrist would.

> Does everyone have troubles? Hell yes! Life's a bitch. But to say that
> everyone needs treatment is a way of saying that everyone is incapable of
> handling their own problems. Great for the psychs. Not so great for
> everyone else.

    The syllogism could be presented that by our very evolutionary nature,
humans are pack animals and dependant on the rest of our group _anyway_.
So what's wrong with admitting it?

> Here's a field that's been studying humans for decades and been given
> scads of money. Yet the morals of this society have taken a nose dive for
> those same decades. Oh that's right. Psychiatry and psychology don't
> concern themselves with morals. Thus they study human behavior in the
> absence of one of the most important factors which influence it. This is
> science?

    That's a pretty good point. On the other hand, you could apply the
same thought processes to nuclear physics or any other science. At least
psychiatry and not-so-much psychology (there are enough areas of study to
include morals in psychology, in many cases) have the decency to scope out
what they know they can observe and what they can not.

--
    - Isaiah