Re: [SLUG-POL] True Story - example of the lunatic state of California

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 23:28:23 EDT

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:35:08PM -0400, Smitty wrote:

> On Monday 16 July 2001 19:36, you wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Steven Johnson wrote:
> > > Well, that does it for me. I will not read any of
> > > Smitty's mail until after you vet it.
> >
> > I'll start a service -- Ask offlist where to send cash
> > subscription fees. I enjoy running down the primary
> > sources.
>
> You have not presented any evidence to refute the posting.

Did the guy get busted? Sure. Was the bust as he described? Well, that's
another story. Maybe, maybe not.

> > -- There is no denying it. It's entertaining. Kooky sounding
> > stuff always is ... but real people get hurt believing and
> > acting on these fantasies
>
> The fantasies are your own. "Kooky sounding" is an opinion, not an
> expression of fact.
> >
> > A deer hunting buddy of mine ended up in Bankruptcy
> > Court, his 16 employees [an independent oil well drilling
> > company] thrown out of work after an IRS levy (wholly
> > justified), after he relied on these 'no 16th Amdt' snake oil
> > sellers.
>
> The IRS has broken the law and still breaks the law. They use the force of
> violence to do it. Nothing they do is "wholly justified".

Under existing law, much of what they do is justified. Not all, mind
you, and they have been _very_ abusive in the past. In some cases,
probably still are.

But running around yelling that the 16th amendment is invalid and not
paying taxes isn't going to keep the IRS at bay. I suspect they're
right that it's invalid, but I also suspect that, had the federal
government been more diligent and persuasive at the time, the states
would have inevitably passed the amendment honestly. But none of this
matters to the IRS. If you want to follow the anti-16th amendment folks
and not pay taxes, have at it. We'll write to you in prison. But
frankly, I don't think this is the way to affect change. Certainly, not
much has changed since these guys started yelling about it.

Paul