Re: [SLUG-POL] True Story - example of the lunatic state of California

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 22:31:20 EDT

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Smitty wrote:

> > > I object to your calling my making postings "antics".
> > > Are your postings antics?
> >
> > As before, Object away -- this is a purpose of slug-pol
>
> "...of people who don't give a straight answer to a simple question."
> Russ Herrold the hypocrite.
>
> > Thought I answered that before -- my posts here are in the
> > role of a "Devil's Advocate" -- If antics are called for, fair
> > warning that I certainly consider that a fair method of
> > presentation.

Bait declined. No link coming, I guess. I've long since
tossed your original post [the repost did not include a URI]
after replying [and my reply stream too]. I do not maintain a
'clipping file.' Ahhh, well.

Mebbe I'm missing something -- I said my posts here (in this
thread, and often on this list), are as a "Devil's Advocate"
-- to ask probing questions and question assumptions -- If
they are phrased so as to give rise to a chuckle, as in
overstating a case in a reducio ad absurdium analysis, that
may be considered a comedic antic dividend.

In addition to the demonstration of "mind control" which I
have exerted to cause one syncopant to publicly respond, my
Svengali-like technique has provoked a couple more folks to
contact me offlist with expressions of mirth -- Walking down
the stairs as I was composing, my daughter asked 'Why are you
smiling so?'

That too might be a showman's antic.

-- Russ