Re: [SLUG-POL] California Screaming; was: [svlug] How To Chase People Away From Linux (was: help (fwd)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 21:55:10 EDT

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 08:30:21PM -0700, Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> Here's a Synopsis:
>
> "Unless you know as much as I do, you are not fit to
> ask a question."

<snip>

> Makes me glad to be in SLUG.
>
> Norb

There seems to be an endemic distate for newbies on the SVLUG list. Moen
appeared to be only the ringleader, and now he's uns*bbed. And not
everyone is so callous on that list. But there are a lot of them. And
had they started this kind of crap on the SLUG list, I would have given
them quick notice to cease and desist. We have a person like this on the
SLUG list that I recently had to privately threaten with uns*bbing for
piling on newbies.

There are stupid people on every list, and clueless newbies. If you want
them to go away, and have a little "aren't we all cosmic because we know
everything" club, the best way to have it is to drive them away with
flames and insults. But since Linux is in an underdog position, I think
we need all the friends we can get. Besides, answering their questions
(often repeatedly) is an exercise in patience, tolerance and humility.

Paul