Re: [SLUG-POL] And don't even get me started on the environment ...(forgot paragraph)

From: Steven Johnson (alinuxguru@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 19:15:05 EDT

I would like to take this opportunity to segue into something a little bit
more current in the news. Namely, the government bailout of the airline
industry to the tune of $25 billion. Essentially what the government has
done has set aside the rules of the free enterprise system and socialized
the airline industry. Actually, more specifically, they socialized the risk
of the airline industry but privatized the profits - as far as I know, no
CEO of any airline industry has agreed to cut their own salaries.

Is socializing the risk despite the overall societal benefits a waste of
taxpayers money? What are the benefits to the taxpayers?