[SLUG-POL] re: Airline bailout

From: Jim Wildman (jim@rossberry.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 15:36:06 EDT

Depends how you define benefit and how successful the risk is
mitigated.

Take the case of the Chrysler bailout. Thousands of jobs were saved,
and the loans were repaid with interest. No other company has tried to
go the same route in copycat manner. And the American people got the
minivan. Worked out pretty well.

The opposite case can be made for the Penn Central bailout. The company
went under and the gov and taxpyers got stuck with a big chunk of it,
which then morphed into ConnRail/Amtrak which is still struggling.
Though the airlines' troubles might be passenger rail's salvation.

For sure this country would be in BIG trouble w/o the airlines. Do
they HAVE to have the $$$ to survive in the longterm? My guess is no,
not in the absolute sense. The industry would contract, much pain
would be felt, but something else woud emerge from the ashes. Can the US
psych stand watching all the planes grounded (or even just one company's
planes)? Probably not a good idea to try that one. Large downside,
little upside.

Jim Wildman jim@rossberry.com