[SLUG-POL] Terrorist Legislation

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 01:45:46 EDT

Regarding the latest legislation from the Justice Department designed to
assist in fighting terrorism, I've heard a lot of grumbling. While I'm
not in favor of the government having any more power than needed, I'd
like to know what precisely the objections are. Spare me the "he who
trades freedom for security..." quotes; you're preaching to the choir on
that one. But I suspect that there's an overreaction to this
legislation. For example, the idea that you can only get a wiretap on a
specific telephone number is ludicrous. If you're trying to track
someone, you need to be able to track them through any number they use.

I'm also concerned about the castration of the intelligence services
that has hitherto prevented them from using HUMINT resources. (Granted,
the intel community has done some goofy things before. When they
decommissioned the SR-71, I thought it was one of the stupidest things
they could do. Satellites can't give you the intel that a Blackbird
can.)

Paul