Re: [SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 17:35:29 EDT

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 04:01:50PM -0400, Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> > I don't know where you get this. If it's true, then why won't
> > they let us stage from their countries, or contribute troops?
>
> Because they won't anymore than the Russians or Chinese would.

Weak argument. I can see the staging part, but not the troops part. If
they truly care and want to stamp this out, the can commit troops. If
they don't, then I contend they aren't serious.

Actually, I suspect that the Arabs have a cultural inhibition against
assisting in the punishment of their fellows, at least on a
country-to-country basis. They're somewhat willing to fight amongst
themselves, but not really willing to have Westerners (outsiders) doing
it, and aren't inclined to assist in it.

Paul