Re: [SLUG-POL]DNA Profiling: was Muslims/Christians

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 00:42:01 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 08:09:42AM -0400, Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:
>
> > "Maureen L. Thomas" wrote:
> > > Profiling is not perfect. But, it does have a place in our society. They
> > > have gathered (they being the FBI, CIA, etc etc) information on child
> > > molesters, serial killers, murderers, and terrorists over the years.
> >
> > And right now we are starting to keep DNA profiles on children and
> > analyze it for behavioral issues.
>
> Oh my gosh, where do you get this stuff? "We" is who? How widespread is
> this practice by thousand births? Where are the DNA profiles kept? Who's
> analyzing them?

DNA samples are being collected in some clinical studies, behavioral and
other. I wouldn't call these DNA "profiles". It is known that the risk
of some behavioral disorders increases as the similarity in genetic code
increases (familial->fraternal twins->identical twins.) Some studies
are being done on schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, alcoholism, etc.
Some day, DNA studies will become a very powerful tool for predicting
behavioral predispositions. Having this information ahead of time is
probably a mixed blessing, being both a crystal ball and a heavy cross
to bear. Some will regard it as great news, others will see it as a way
to determine medical insurance coverage. This goes for any type of DNA
matching.

Obviously, participation in any clinical study is voluntary.

> > DNA isn't you, it's part of you. Your mind can overcome anything,
> > including your DNA's programming.
> >

> Absolutely correct. A statement you'll have to take on faith: DNA has
> zero to do with behavior.

No, see above.

> snip

-Robert