Re: [SLUG-POL] Just Testing - Oil Crisis?

From: Jim Wildman (jim@rossberry.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 11:20:30 EST

The OPEC countries are in a quandry because of their social programs.
Most of the governments are not really solid or consitutionally based.
They've kept internal dissent down by spreading oil money like candy at
a Christmas parade. Say ENTITLEMENTS. Now their biggest customer (US)
is doing things they and their people don't really like, plus the price
of oil is at or below what they need to fund their programs to prop
themselves up. But our trigger finger is itchy enough they can't push
us too far. Plus if they restrict our oil, it makes alternatives more viable
(they really don't want us to rush hydrogen cars into production) moving
the date when we don't need them forward.

Talk about a Catch-22.

If they restrict production to raise prices, they may lower their total
revenue, or risk some sort of military action, or make us develop other
sources in which case the party is over...

Jim Wildman jim@rossberry.com
903-736-4393