Re: [SLUG-POL] Bushes daughter

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 18:42:38 EST

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 05:21:41AM -0500, Bill Triplett wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 01:30, Jim wrote:
> > Since we are in a TV ratings month, and Gov Bushes daughter got busted for
> > prescription fraud, now we have to watch this garbage on some of the
> tv news
> > shows about changing the way prescription drugs are handled. This one
> pisses
> > me off because:
> >
> > First, the system ain't broken. It worked, after all she got caught didn't
> > she?
>
> I don't know how they propose to change it, but one thing they could do
> is restrict the drug companies from advertising perscription stuff
> directly to patients.

No kidding! This is one of the worst trends I've ever seen. Patients,
who know nothing of medicine, pressure doctors to give them drugs they
don't even know will help. Doctors don't want to lose patients, so they
do it. Free markets are great and all, but this has led to abuse and
should be prohibited. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, pharmaceutical
companies are raping everyone anyway. I don't mind people making money,
but charging people $10 a pill just because you can is pretty bad.

Paul