Re: [SLUG-POL] Important, biased commentary--courtesy of me

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 11:17:14 EST

Thus spake Paul M Foster on the 02 day of the 11 month in the year 2002:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 08:41:24PM -0800, sanity wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > 3. ****** You __WILL__ wonder about some of the Constitutional
> > >
> > > Amendments, so I urge you to look at my analysis below! ******
>
> I've never in my life seen a state where there is more tampering with
> the _constitution_ than there is in Florida. I can only imagine it's the

I don't know. New Jersey (where I briefly lived before moving here)
is certainly in the running.

Past the deadline to appoint new a new candidate and your candidate is
loosing? No problem! Just get the State Supreme Court to "make it all
better" and ignore a specifically written law.

Primaries? Who needs 'em. :-/

> way liberals get their agenda passed when they know the general public
> wouldn't otherwise tolerate it, and the legislature certainly wouldn't.
> It's the same thing they do by getting liberal judges to make law,
> bypassing Congress. They know Congress won't go for this stuff, and the
> general public won't either. But judges are nearly untouchable. Roe V
> Wade, Brown V Board of Education et al were prime examples of Congress
> unwilling to tackle difficult issues, and judges more than willing to
> overstep their purview and make law.

Well they /are/ gods after all. Just ask them. ;-)

Our Federal Constitution (I'm not familiar with FL State Constitution,
but I imagine it's similar) has a check for corrupt justices. It's called
impeachment and removal. Unfortunately legislators are afraid to
actually use it for fear of the "dangerous precedent it would create".
They have a weak point there, but unfortunately these politicians are afraid
to use it when it is indeed appropriate. When judges start making
law, it's the legislative branch's _job_ to remove them, just as it's
their job to remove executors who blatantly relieve themselves on the rule
of law and due process by perjuring themselves under oath. These
legislators are afraid removals will be perceived as purely political,
when in these instances it's about principal and the rule of law. For
the most part, unfortunately, the public is too blind to discern the
difference. *sigh*

--
Matthew Moen

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin