Re: [SLUG-POL] Offshore job movement

From: John Pedersen (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 18:53:04 EDT

I give up. We're talking about totally different things. a) You keep
talking from the view of an individual, and I'm talking about
macro-economics. (We were talking about jobs and countries, right?)

b) I'm talking about CREATION of wealth (I wish I could make the
letters ten feet high because you keep ignoring that word) You are
talking about things HAVING VALUE. Totally different concepts. I
agree with everything you say about valuation, but it has nothing to
do with creation of wealth. If I sell you a Rembrandt for one million
dollars, NOBODY is saying that the painting doesn't have value!!! But
the act of selling something simply exchanges some assets between
parties. The NET effect (and this is the MACRO-ECONOMICS part of it)
is zero. You surely can see that VALUATION and CREATION OF WEALTH are
not the same thing. (If somebody takes some paint and canvas and
creates a painting that customers deem to be worth a million dollars,
THAT is creation of wealth. Valuation is simply "how you measure it".)

This isn't some crackpot Karl Marx theory. As far as I'm concerned,
it's just how economics works. Always has. But I'm all played
out--perfectly happy to agree to disagree.

Time is better spent breaking and fixing Linux boxes, isn't it? I
have shifted all my learning over to the Debian side. There are lots
of good things, but that apt-get can get very hairy when you're mixing
unstables and testing! I bought a copy of Libranet a few months ago,
and now I'm a Debian fan!

John