Re: [SLUG-POL] Re: [SLUG] Fwd: [governmentforge] Shocking news about Microsoft's ability to kill Open Source

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 16:20:03 EST

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:23:27AM -0500, Todd Robinson wrote:

> I ran into this at USF, trying to sell them a particular solution to a
> Linux education problem. I had what I thougt was a pretty good 'in',
> with backing from several professors, and introductions... But, after
> getting down to the meat of the situation, I got the news that the
> Business School was not interested in teaching anything about Linux.
> First because it wasn't used in any business situation... Second,
> because they were able, through a special M$ program, able to buy the
> entire suite of _all_ M$ products for the staff for $750, so that it
> would be easy for them to teach it... It was reasonably clear that this
> was what influenced the first statment. We chatted a while longer, but
> never got past that.

They're going to have red faces when their graduates move out into the
real world, and find Linux all around them. This is the latest tactic
from Microsoft. They know that Linux is nipping at their heels, and they
have to make moves like this to stem the tide. We've been on Microsoft's
"list of enemies" for several years now. You know Bill Gates hasn't been
idly sitting back whining about it. These guys have been busy figuring
out ways to screw Linux. Like giving lots of money to SCO.

Paul