[SLUG-POL] Re: Can't you make a point without one-sided political figure jabs? -- PATRIOT Act

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 12:01:38 EDT

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 11:09, Levi Bard wrote:
> I'll see your NAFTA and raise you the USA PATRIOT Act.

The PATRIOT Act was actually just the legislative approval of executive
powers _already_ being used. It put a time limit on them with a
judicial watchguard. What Bush and the Congress did was create a way
for there to be a _public_record_ of actions taken. We did _not_ have
that before the PATRIOT Act, so it is _both_ a curse _and_ a blessing.

Most people don't know that President Bush was able to execute most of
his directives _before_ the PATRIOT Act was passed because of the broad
powers President Clinton granted to the FBI and federal agencies in an
1998 Executive Order. Bill Clinton doesn't get a lot of credit (_both_
positive and negative) for a lot of things, and one thing is that he
_knew_ (do _not_ read positive or negative into that statement) an
attack was coming in the near future.

And like Clinton in 1993 (remember _that_ bombing? -- some Democrats out
there like to forget ;-), the terrorists decided to wait until a new
President took office in 2001.

> But you accuse me of being suffering from delusional partisanship.

My apologize for jumping the gun there with my assumptions.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community