Re: [SLUG-POL] U.S. no longer top tech nation

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 00:14:54 EST

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 23:38 -0500, Steven Buehler wrote:
> The push to produce more and more with less and less is definitely
> damaging to people, and by extension the economy. My manager had his
> first major heart attack at the age of THIRTY-TWO due to the stress
> load he had to endure in his position. He finally learned how to tell
> people "No". He is one of very few (I mean VERY few) managers in our
> company that do NOT have a pager, cell phone, and/or fax machine to be
> instantly contacted. I envy the guy. I look at the group that I work
> in and note that we're doing about ten to twelve times the volume of
> work we used to do with about half the people we started with.

So what do we do about it?

I just don't get upset with anyone anymore. At the most, if someone
doesn't take responsibility for something, I let it be known in other
ways. I can only resolve things for me, and I leave the issues of
others to them.

And God no I do not want the government to "fix" things.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
Community software is all about choice, choice of technology.