Re: [SLUG] Industrial Linux

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 13:22:45 EDT

On Sunday 15 April 2001 12:46,Ed wrote:
> Two possibilities come to mind:
>
> Since you're already familiar with Basic then bwBasic *may* be of use.
> I'm not sure if it's "open" command can be used with serial ports and
> it's licensing is not free for commmercial use.
> http://www.bwbasic.com/ There's QB2C, a QuickBasic to C translator
> http://faust.irb.hr/~stipy/qb2c/qb2c.html. There's QuickBasic for Linux
> http://www.xbasic.com/ but it's a bit pricey at $395. There may be some
> other basics for Linux.
Well.... sure enough I have a bwbasic on this box; readme sez:
This version of Bywater BASIC is released under the terms of the
   GNU General Public License (GPL), which is distributed with this
   software in the file "COPYING". The GPL specifies the terms
   under which users may copy and use the software in this distribution
This may be the easiest for me.
> Another approach would be to use Tcl(pronounced "tickle"). It's "open"

> I'm quite certain that perl or python could handle serial ports too
> along with the database stuff but their learning curve may be a bit
> steeper than Tcl.

Well I don't mind picking up a new language, especially for Linux, but I did
not want to tackle C right off the bat...
My impression is that perl or python would be more general use languages to
use than tcl, but that may just be my own bias from what I have read.
>From what I have researched so far, it should be fairly easy to use perl
modules to get the (raw) data into a database.

Thanks for the reply.