Re: [SLUG] Industrial Linux

From: Tim Spalding (dominus@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 15:01:41 EDT

>> On Sunday 15 April 2001 12:46,Ed wrote:
>> I'm quite certain that perl or python could handle serial ports too
>> along with the database stuff but their learning curve may be a bit
>> steeper than Tcl.

> Bob File wrote:

> Well I don't mind picking up a new language, especially for Linux, but I did
> not want to tackle C right off the bat...
> My impression is that perl or python would be more general use languages to
> use than tcl

I think all three are general-use languages, but check out a comparison between
C, Python, and Perl written by Eric Raymond at
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/taoup/chapter3.html

In real short, TCL is usable for VERY light-weight stuff. Perl is the
proverbial 800-pound gorilla, good for quick-dirty-and-small programs, but
doesn't scale very well once your app gets above, say, 100 lines. Python, on
the other hand, seems to involve perhaps slightly more overhead for the really
SMALL stuff, but scales up to large apps very nicely.

As for the learning curve, check the following link for a personal account by
Eric Raymond:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue73/3882.html

Hope this helps.