Re: [SLUG] Industrial Linux

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 20:01:48 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> > > Bob File wrote:
> >
> > > Well I don't mind picking up a new language, especially for Linux, but I did
> > > not want to tackle C right off the bat...
> > > My impression is that perl or python would be more general use languages to
> > > use than tcl
> >
> > I think all three are general-use languages, but check out a comparison between
> > C, Python, and Perl written by Eric Raymond at
> > http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/taoup/chapter3.html
> >

> I believe BASIC is a dead end in the Open Source world. Very few people
> code in it here, because it's not a Real Language (tm). As mentioned
> before C, Perl and Python are your best bets. C is a workhorse
> language, but it can be very tedious to code in. Don't even try C++
> unless you know C first. Perl will do what you want, but it makes for
> sloppy code and sloppy programmers. Python will also probably do what
> you want, but insists on good programming practice.
>
> Free advice, and worth every penny. ;-}

Well, since we're all putting in out *chink chink* 2 cents' worth,
here's my shpeel: If you feel like a language in which you can do pretty
fast application programming, is generally easy and don't really wish to
do much in the way of racking your brains, Python is DEFFINITELLY the
way to go. It's clean, easy to read, object oriented to the core and
plays nice with multiple OSs. Now, if you want to actually learn more
about your computer and the way that it works (namelly memory
management, which really translates to the transfer of ALL information),
then forget Python and take a look at C (which, by the way, is what
Python is written in ANYWAYS, so if you pick C up and pick up its
concepts well enough you can pick up Python and even rewrite part of the
language to fit your needs. Of course, if you want most of the
advantages of C (ie. you learn about your computer beautifully) and also
like the fact that you don't need a compiler ( good when building quick
scripts right off the top of your head to do menial and even important
tasks), then Look at Perl. By the way, Python is also interpreted, which
means that it has lots of power but programs written in it run slower
than they would if written in C, which is basically human-readable
Assembly (actually, it's very readable when you know the syntax).

My recomendation: Python. Why? It's quick to learn, it's easy, it's a
pretty powerful new language and it makes a nice adition to almost any
language, such a C, C++, Perl, Java, blah blah blah, as well as stand
nicelly on it's own two(three or four) legs. Besides, we need more
Python programers. And you have to admit that there's something to be
said about the attitude of programmers who work in a language named in
honnor of a comedy troupe.

Norb