RE: [SLUG] samba frustration--it works,, somewhat

From: Mikes work account (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 13:15:28 EDT

I am now reading my files in each directory that I have setup as shares.

In answer to Larry, I set encrypted passwords with my entries in the global
section of the smb.conf file.

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = 'assigned path to smbpasswd'

 Then ,,,and I left my samba book home today[senior moment],,, you have to
run a program to move your /etc/passwd file to the /etc/smbpasswd file.
Then you add passwords the same way you do with the passwd command:

#smbpasswd 'user name'
newpasswd> 'enter new password'

You have to do this for every user that is to have a share or access to a
share.

I also had public set to 'no' in my share and when you do this you need a
valid users statement which I did not have,,,I do now!! I couldn't even get
into my own share!!!

stop and start samba and away you go.

For

For The rest of you,,, some of my share names [and file names] were longer
than 8 characters and Windows would not see them. That was easy to correct.
I think there is a way around this in NT or maybe it does it
automatically,,, can't say right now for sure.

The only issue left is the inability to create sub directories in shares and
have windows see them,,, or even see them if they were created in windows!!
Any ideas here??

Michael C. Rock