Re: [SLUG] samba frustration--it works,, somewhat

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 22:10:48 EDT

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 01:15:28PM -0400, Mikes work account wrote:

<snip>

> For The rest of you,,, some of my share names [and file names] were longer
> than 8 characters and Windows would not see them. That was easy to correct.
> I think there is a way around this in NT or maybe it does it
> automatically,,, can't say right now for sure.
>
> The only issue left is the inability to create sub directories in shares and
> have windows see them,,, or even see them if they were created in windows!!
> Any ideas here??

I have a Linux samba server setup at work, whose shares I operate on via
Windows 98 and Linux. Long filenames have not been a problem for me. I
don't know about subdirs. I can create them with Linux, and don't know
why I wouldn't be able to via Windows. One thing, though. Every dir and
subdir managed by Samba on the server is under my username, which is the
same name (and password) that I use on the Win98 system. I know very
little about Samba, other than I got it to work and left it alone. I can
email you my smb.cfg, if it would help.

Paul