Re: [SLUG] Industrial Linux

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 16:57:48 EDT

On Monday 16 April 2001 00:32, Toby FreakSoft wrote:
> Being a C programmer myself I would use C. To read and write to a serial
> prot is rather easy. The HOWTO almost takes all the fun out of doing the
> programming. The only thing I am wondering is about the bar code printer.
> This maybe a problem you will have with all the languages if you don't know
> now to correctly write to it. Although if you have a document or know how
> then nevermind. All in all I would use C.. But in the end it may come down
> to what languages do you know and how much time do you have to learn it
> in...

Yes, I already know how to get the printers to do what I want.. I have a
stand alone (VB) proggie for printing and I also did the printer programming
for a SCADA node we have that uses barocde printers (once again, VB).

At this point I am thinking that it may take me much longer to get up to
speed with C than one of the other languages.
I certainly appreciate the feedback, though.
You're talking about the serial port programming how-to? I just found one
under the LDP..