[SLUG] Re: That's It I have Had it

From: Bill Preece (savatage@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 11:16:04 EDT

Most Mid Line Compaq's actually run Linux pretty well.
In Fact usually better then they ever do Windows. :-)

The one thing you have to keep in mind with Compaq's.
They have to use service paq's as they call them when running the other Os.
If you just reformat and set the Drive they will not work that well at all
without
these soft paq's. I can also tell you if you ever change the Hard Drive in a
Compaq
that they use a Partition that holds the Compaq Bios Setup information. If
you ever change this you
must down load the tool to create that partition as if you do not you can
not change your systems
Bios settings at all !!!!!!

The other crappy thing is that this partition utility was written to run
while you guessed it under Windows.

This has been on all Compaq's except the Proliant Servers for the past 4
years.

What I suggest is make sure you have the partition for your set up on the
drive then blow off the Microsoft
Partition with funny enough Microsoft's utility called Delpart.exe this
run's of a bootable dos disk. This
will wipe any type of partition repeat any Os2, Windows , Unix , Linux , and
any BSD systems.
After that run your fdisk /mbr to clear the boot record and viola you have a
clean drive.

NOTE! Make sure you do not delete that 10 - 16 meg setup partition.

After this you are ready to install your Distro. If you need the delpart.exe
utility you can
go to lycos and do a search it is easy to find.

I will say this File works. In fact when Norb set up his laptop I
recommended it and he did this and
he can tell you it works like a charm.