Re: [SLUG] Xwindows Auto Login

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 10:07:53 EDT

> Chris Hornbrook wrote:
>
> I would like auto start Xwindows without having to type in a user name
> and password at the logon screen. Does any one know how to accomplish
> this?
>
> Thanks

If you have KDE2 or greater (I have 2.1.1), then you have a rather EASY
way of doing this. Go to the control-center, then to "system" then to
the "Login.." something or other (there's only 4 categories, so not very
hard to find. It's Login Manager, I think). Go through the tabs (up at
the top) and at the last tab you'll have the "convenience" options.
There you'll have the options to have passwordless logins for certain
users or completely automatic logins for users. NOTE: I'm not sure that
if you do that, if it'll bring you straight into KDE or to the GUI you
choose (I use GNOME with Enlightenment), so you'll hve to be your own
guinea pig for this one.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, remember you have to be root to do all this. YOu can't handle
Login options from a regular user mode.

Norb