Re: [SLUG] Participations

From: Frank Roberts - SOLT (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 15:01:50 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 11:29:04AM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:
>
> > Here's how I usually set them up:
> >
> > partition size
> > / 256MB
> > swap (2x RAM size)
> > /var 512MB
> > /usr 2-4GB
> > /home 100MB (because even at home everything lives on the server)
> > /opt remainder (yes, I'm an "/opt" person...)
>
> Opt is suggested by the FHS, so you can't really argue with it.
>
> How do you set up these partitions? As in primary, secondary, etc.?
>
> Paul

I second that and thanks Paul.

Part of the above eludes me a wee bit.

Which is your boot participation?

Why is /var so much less than /usr?

Approximately what size is /opt? If /opt is over 4 GB and this HD is
larger than 10 GB for example a 40 GB drive would it not be better to
put the remainder in /home. THat is of course assuming that you are not
storing data on a server but have a stand alone machine.

Thank
Frank