Re: [SLUG] Participations

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 09:58:36 EDT

Hmmm...you mean you want to check for bad blocks on your drive? If so,
probably 2-4 days. But with newer drives, you shouldn't have to. With
the Debian install, for example, you can skip that all together.

Partitioning just involves telling hard-drive/OS where everything is
located on the drive, and the names of those locations. If you do that
via pdisk/fdisk or other partition utility, the length of time it would
take to format is about as long as it takes for you to figure out how
big you want each partition, and then figuring out how to translate 512
byte block sizes into MB or GB (which I never do well with, even though
I can do the math... ;-) I usually guesstimate, figuring that 2,000,000
512 byte blocks = 1 MB. I then check to see if I'm write/right, and if
not, I start over for that partition till it's about right. Then I move
on to the next until I'm done, or realize that I need more or less
room...so I guess it's trial and error for me.

HTH

Russell

_its_ (no apostrophe) means "the thing that it owns"
_it's_ (with apostrophe) means "it is"