Re: [SLUG] partition

From: sotl155360@earthlink.net
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 10:30:30 EDT

Russell Hires wrote:

> Hmmm...you mean you want to check for bad blocks on your drive? If so,
> probably 2-4 days. But with newer drives, you shouldn't have to. With
> the Debian install, for example, you can skip that all together.
>
> Partitioning just involves telling hard-drive/OS where everything is
> located on the drive, and the names of those locations. If you do that
> via pdisk/fdisk or other partition utility, the length of time it would
> take to format is about as long as it takes for you to figure out how
> big you want each partition, and then figuring out how to translate 512
> byte block sizes into MB or GB (which I never do well with, even though
> I can do the math... ;-) I usually guesstimate, figuring that 2,000,000
> 512 byte blocks = 1 MB. I then check to see if I'm write/right, and if
> not, I start over for that partition till it's about right. Then I move
> on to the next until I'm done, or realize that I need more or less
> room...so I guess it's trial and error for me.
>
> HTH
>
> Russell

Well not exactly.

It appears that I pulled a goof.
For RH setup the next screen after the partition screen ask if you want
to format the sectors. Not wanting to format anything I checked no but
the next screen says that you have to format one partition. Well the
first two or three times I installed the system on this drive. This is
my play drive where I a change things continuously just to play with the
system. Anyway that last time i checked yes to formatting all the
partition. That was on Friday afternoon. Formatting has not finished
yet. In fact after 30 hours /home which is set at 20 GB had not finished
formatting and /usr which is also set at 20 GB had not started so it
looks like I am going to be out a computer until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks for the info.

Frank