Re: [SLUG] Cheap Box and Brian's Question

From: sotl155360@earthlink.net
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 13:01:17 EDT

Maybe the problem is you do not recognize real help when it is on the
list.

One of the major problem some of us have had in the past is that our
hardware and Linux were not compatible. The latest version of Linux has
more compatible hardware than previous but even then I would not like to
try to put Linux on another HP box. I would prefer to build a box that I
know is compatible from the beginning.

If you have not noticed there has been considerable traffic recently
about partition of hard drives. Why? Because for some of us who have
been around a while have discovered that if you want a Linux box to work
correctly most likely you are going to have to build it yourself. There
are a few places Xcomputing being one where you may buy a box built to
your specifications and allegedly pre configured configured. I question
that configuration but you can still get one that will do the job.

Having the box work correctly - the hardware side is not the only story.
You also have to have the software work correctly too. For a beginning
understanding of the software you are simply going to have to bill the
box yourself. There are just too many things that one can not understand
until you try to make them work yourself and without building the box
you do not get to experience these issues.

Now building a box may sound simple. It is not. Recall that
compatibility problem. Well you can go off and check the compatibility
list and have everything fully lined out for your budget and guess what
the hardware you buy may not be fully compatible. I did. Had to buy a
new video card too. Hope the original one will work for RH7.1 but from
what I have seen so far I do not believe it. Now you recall that
Xcomputing well they list the hardware they use and my original video
card is listed there too. But! It does not work for RH 6.1 or Mandrake
7.2. So, when some one puts together a linux box for less than $500 and
it works correctly I am interested. Of course I interested because I
want the most computer for the hardware but I am equally interested in
the computability issue so that I do not have to buy double hardware.

Thank
Frank

> Bpreece wrote:
>
> Brian ,
>
> What started this was completely related to Linux. I posted a story on
> building a Cheap Linux Box the article was on Linux Today.
> For $475.00 this guy built a Linux Box to run S.u.S.E. professionla
> on. I then posted a link to a local distributor open to the
> public so you could see for around $450.00 and you could give it more
> bang for the buck.
>
> Thanks
> Bill Preece
> Suncoast Linux Users Group