[SLUG] Newbie Questions & Next NPR Meeting Questions

From: edoc (kd4e@arrl.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 14:48:24 EDT

I am planning to attend the SLUG meeting May 5th. (May try to make one
prior to that but it is unlikely.)

I have Stormix loaded on a laptop and a desktop (the latter destined to be a
server).

Besides being saddened to hear of the apparent demise of Stormix I have a
variety of needs in getting off the ground as a Linux-Debian-Stormix newbie
(including exploring an alternative when such becomes necessary).

I tried to E-mail Henry and RJ at the E-mails posted on the SLUG web site
but both were returned as undeliverable.

I am hoping to find help with the following:

1. Getting Linux to recognize my IBM pc-card modem.
2. Discovering how to address the floppy drive from Linux.
3. Getting connected to the Internet from my laptop so I may use apt-get.
4. Checking that my network settings are correct on my laptop.
5. Other basic Linux-newbie questions.

I also have a need to get the server running and possibly an old
IBM ThinkPad 360cse ... but will probably hold those for a future
meeting -- perhaps what I learn through the laptop will help me
to handle those OK.

Look forward to meeting you all May 5th ... if I cannot find my way
to a meeting before then.

Thanks! Doc (in Hudson, FL)