[SLUG] Banshee card and xfree86 4.0.3

From: Douglas W Koobs (dkoobs@tampabaydsl.com)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 22:45:41 EDT

Hello,

I have a Diamond Monster Fusion Video card (VooDoo Banshee
chip) and a Phillips 107S monitor. I have tried getting
XFree86 4.0.3 to work in both Redhat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0
clean installs with the same results in both. Both the card
and the monitor are found correctly by the install. However,
when I try to startx, things get weird (using KDE). Hard to
explain exactly, but here goes: X starts, but everything is
extremely grainy, the background, icons, everything. The
cursor looks like a fuzzy rectangle. The K menu is about
1/8" wide, and all icons in it (and on the desktop) are
unreadable. I use the cntrl-alt-backspace to get back to a
command prompt, and I think it does... but the screen is now
a jumble of many colors. Pressing alt+F2 through alt+F6
reveals that all terminals look the same way. But commands
are accepted... So, I use cntrl-alt-del to reboot.
I have tried Xconfigurator, and I have manually edited the
XF86Config file, and even tried the xfree86config (sp?)
tool, all to no avail. Thanks for any help!

Douglas W Koobs MCSE
Network Engineer
Dimension Networks, Inc