Re: [SLUG] CVS Question

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@iname.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 05:21:22 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> You've got a working directory where your code is. You've added some
> files since the last CVS commit. But you don't know which ones. You want
> to add and commit them. Is there a simple way to tell which files from
> the working directory are in the archive and which aren't?
>
> Paul

If you go into your working directory and type 'cvs update', CVS will say
that it is examining directories. Any files that are in the working
directory but not in the CVS repository will be displayed, with a question
mark next to them (and any new versions in the CVS repository will be
merged into your working copy, of course). If you have files that you want
to exist in the working directory, do not want in the tree, but do not want
to show up with question marks on every update, you can create a file
called ".cvsignore" in each working directory. That file contains
names/wildcards of files that CVS should not complain about (for C/C++
programmers, we often end up with a .o file for each .c file, but we never
want to check-in the .o files). Don't forget to add the .cvsignore file to
your repository (esp. if you use multiple working copies) Example
.cvsignore:

*.o
*.swp
untrustworthy.cxx