Re: [SLUG] RedHat 7.1 Install fails

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 18:10:50 EDT

Derek Glidden wrote:

> Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> > > we all need to stay wit Mandrake
> > >

> > That's the wonderful thing about GNU/Linux.. you have a choice (such as
> > my choosing SuSE rather than Mandrake... An yes, I've tried them both ;)
> >
> > P.S.
> > I tend to be a pacifist about this one (because they all have their
> > goods and bads) but if you want to (just for kicks!!), may the holy wars
> > begin *hee hee hee*. First a comment on a GUI ("Mandrake and KDE.. the
> > future of Linux.... it really is..."), then on a Distro... oh yeah...
> > it's-a-brewin'...
>
> Dunno what you're talking about. I mean, I don't understand how there
> could *be* any kind of holy wars about distributions when it's so
> completely obvious that Debian is the best of the bunch...

Yeah, sure, if you like draconian installs and NO documentation outside
of the internet. Lets face it: if you want a trully complete distro, you
go with SuSE. You want good customer support, you go with SuSE (in
addition to the wonderful community, of course). You want a simple
distro, you go with SuSE, and of you want something that's known for how
quickly it takes new hardware, you go with SuSE.
Now, if you want apt-get.... hey, SuSE has a version of that, too! In
short, if you need it to work and work well and consistently, you go
with SuSE.

(P.S. I could make arguments for other distros, but there's a good
reason why all the computers in my house are running SuSE... 'cause
mandrake 7.2 spewed chunks, RedHat7.0 was bug city, Corel... well, just
didn't work with my hardware, Stormix is dead, and Debian still needs to
learn that eye candy is a good thing. Then again, I might change my
mind, but hell, this is why it's fun ;).

Hands down, best out there.

Norb