Re: [SLUG] Cheap Box and Brian's Question

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 17:23:53 EDT

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 10:46:44PM -0700, Brian Chabot wrote:

> I just thought of a question!! Of course the material for learning
> Linux on the net is extensive but, what I have the most difficulty
> learning is after I've installed a particular Linux ver. (RH seems to
> be
> the most documented and exclusively used by many) is simply getting
> around and knowing where to find files, peripherals, etc. I guess my
> question is what should someone thats starting to learn Linux learn
> first. Ex: how to program in C language, or Unix, or how the Kernel
> works, etc...

You _don't_ need to learn to program to use Linux, nor do you need to
know how the kernel works.

First thing's first, unless you have specific questions, is to learn
where things are on your filesystems. What each directory is for, what
kind of files are there. In particular, pay attention to what's in the
/etc directory, since most of the major config files are in that
directory or its subdirectories.

You can also go on the website http://www.suncoastlug.org/faq.html
One of the FAQs is about how DOS commands compare to Linux commands.
Learn to use those commands, read the man pages on them. ("Read the man
pages" = man cp if the command you're interested in is "cp".)

Also, take a look for any newbie stuff on the net. You can check out
linux.com, linux.org and such. And of course, buy a book like "Running
Linux" to read when you're in the bathroom and can't use your computer.
;-}

Paul