[SLUG] Choosing a Distro to Replace Stormix

From: edoc (kd4e@arrl.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 18:04:10 EDT

> That's the wonderful thing about GNU/Linux.. you have a choice (such as
> my choosing SuSE rather than Mandrake... An yes, I've tried them both ;)
>
> P.S.
> I tend to be a pacifist about this one (because they all have their
> goods and bads) but if you want to (just for kicks!!), may the holy wars
> begin *hee hee hee*. First a comment on a GUI ("Mandrake and KDE.. the
> future of Linux.... it really is..."), then on a Distro... oh yeah...
> it's-a-brewin'...
>
> Norb

I chose Stormix because it is Debian-based, now Progeny is being touted as
the replacement-du-jour for Stormix. Most of the claims for Mandrake 8 were
made for Stormix (though their last release used some older Debian stuff)
and are now being made for Progeny.

Why would I choose Mandrake 8 over the current release of Progeny, please?

Would it make sense for me to load Mandrake 7.1 (because I have it) or to
just get a Mandrake 8 CD and load that ... that is should I choose to move
Mandrake vs Progeny and abandon the orphaned Stormix.

Thanks! Doc