Re: [SLUG] Cheap Box and Brian's Question

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 17:56:20 EDT

> Hey thanks Norb
>
> Guess I'm just anctious to learn my way around Linux as compared to
> Windows.
>
> I just thought of a question!! Of course the material for learning
> Linux on the net is extensive but, what I have the most difficulty
> learning is after I've installed a particular Linux ver. (RH seems to
> be the most documented and exclusively used by many) is simply getting
> around and knowing where to find files, peripherals, etc. I guess my
> question is what should someone thats starting to learn Linux learn
> first. Ex: how to program in C language, or Unix, or how the Kernel
> works, etc...

Though Red Hat is the version most extensivelly covered by third parties
in the US, there is alot to be said for a distro that includes
documentation so good that you don't feel the need to purchase any extra
(read, SuSE). That being said, Red Hat IS the version used by most
businesses, at least in the US (I'm not quite sure, but I thought that
Turbo was really popular in the Asian realm and SuSE in Europe. Again, I
might be wrong - this is stuff I heard through the Grape Vine Phone Co,
a Baby Bell). If you need to find a good guide to find where you find
certain files and peripherals, then you might just want to wonder over
to your local Barnes and NOble or Borders or Whatever and sit down for a
while with something simple, like "Linux for Dummies" (the newest
version is NOT writen by Maddog, unfortunatelly). YOu might also want to
try something a bit (a helluvalot) more extensive, like Mueller's
"Upgrading and Repairing PCs, Linux Edition" Published by QUE. You can
also try checking out McGraw Hill's "The Complete refference: Red Hat
Linux", or O'Reilly's "Running Linux". That ought to give you a pretty
good idea of what kind of files you can find where.

P.S. to all interested, at the Barnes and Noble in Brandon there are a
BUNCH of GNU/Linux books - somewhat out of date, but great if you want
the book, are strapped for cash and just want to learn.

P.P.S.
You might want to take a look at the RHCE study guide, by SYBEX. The
book itself is ok (though the cd is nothign but a bunch of exe files...
DAMN THEM!), but more importantly, it has a section that tells you what
goes where and why and ever tells you things like "these directories
should NEVER be in a partition separate from one another...")

Hope that helped a bit. Note that I dont' suggest your buy them unless
you REALLY REALLYT want them, but don't worry. People at bookstores
don't get mad when you read their books... they just get mad when you
make a huge mess and don't clean it up. I know.. I've worked in
bookstores for 3 years...

Norb