Re: [SLUG] Cheap Box and Brian's Question

From: patrick (patrick@llc.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 18:22:33 EDT

On Monday 30 April 2001 05:56 pm, you wrote:
> > Hey thanks Norb
> >
> > Guess I'm just anctious to learn my way around Linux as compared to
> > Windows.
> >
> > I just thought of a question!! Of course the material for learning
> > Linux on the net is extensive but, what I have the most difficulty
> > learning is after I've installed a particular Linux ver. (RH seems to
> > be the most documented and exclusively used by many) is simply getting
> > around and knowing where to find files, peripherals, etc. I guess my
> > question is what should someone thats starting to learn Linux learn
> > first. Ex: how to program in C language, or Unix, or how the Kernel
> > works, etc...
>
> Though Red Hat is the version most extensivelly covered by third parties
> in the US, there is alot to be said for a distro that includes
> documentation so good that you don't feel the need to purchase any extra
> (read, SuSE). That being said, Red Hat IS the version used by most
> businesses, at least in the US (I'm not quite sure, but I thought that
> Turbo was really popular in the Asian realm and SuSE in Europe. Again, I
> might be wrong - this is stuff I heard through the Grape Vine Phone Co,
> a Baby Bell). If you need to find a good guide to find where you find
> certain files and peripherals, then you might just want to wonder over
> to your local Barnes and NOble or Borders or Whatever and sit down for a
> while with something simple, like "Linux for Dummies" (the newest
> version is NOT writen by Maddog, unfortunatelly). YOu might also want to
> try something a bit (a helluvalot) more extensive, like Mueller's
> "Upgrading and Repairing PCs, Linux Edition" Published by QUE. You can
> also try checking out McGraw Hill's "The Complete refference: Red Hat
> Linux", or O'Reilly's "Running Linux". That ought to give you a pretty
> good idea of what kind of files you can find where.
>

> P.S. to all interested, at the Barnes and Noble in Brandon there are a
> BUNCH of GNU/Linux books - somewhat out of date, but great if you want
> the book, are strapped for cash and just want to learn.
>
> P.P.S.
> You might want to take a look at the RHCE study guide, by SYBEX. The
> book itself is ok (though the cd is nothign but a bunch of exe files...
> DAMN THEM!), but more importantly, it has a section that tells you what
> goes where and why and ever tells you things like "these directories
> should NEVER be in a partition separate from one another...")
>

> Hope that helped a bit. Note that I dont' suggest your buy them unless
> you REALLY REALLYT want them, but don't worry. People at bookstores
> don't get mad when you read their books... they just get mad when you
> make a huge mess and don't clean it up. I know.. I've worked in
> bookstores for 3 years...
>
> Norb

another thing u could do is to buy Mandrake 8.0 and for the
most part u wont need to learn much. i can reinstall Mandrake
8 in less than 30 minutes including setting up the kpp
and be on the internet. i would suggest that if someone does
that and then spend a few hours just browsing the kde
interface. linux is moving more to easy installs and less for
the need to learn specifics. i would also incourage people to
learn all u want too also. my brand of linux is the easy stuff.
Mandrake fulfills this.
if u have children get them Mandrake and then cut them loose.
whos knows what they might do or get into.

Mandrake is the only distro