Re: [SLUG] Mandrake 8

From: Michael F. Richards (mrichard@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 19:07:38 EDT

patrick wrote:

> has anybody tried out the new Mandrake 8. yet.
> i've got it and its the only game in town.

I downloaded it last week and have it installed on a 450 MHz AMD K6-2 .
It is the first Linux version to work with my onboard Audio. It also
works pretty well with the onboard video. I am disappointed in the
fact that I haven't been able to mount a floppy device though and
mounting of a CD-ROM is flaky at best. I had tried Mandrake 8.0 beta 1
and I had no problem with Floppy or CD-ROM mounts, (Beta 1 had plenty
other bugs though). Mandrake uses supermount to auto mount the Floppy
and CD-ROM. Strange thing is that the mandrake RPM management tool
mounts the CD-ROM but I can't mount it as a user or as root. I've
checked the all the /dev/* file privileges and added myself and root to
the Floppy and CD-ROM groups. No luck and documentation on supermount
and Mandrake security is pretty sparse.

I can't say that it is the only game in town if basic functions that
worked on earlier releases no longer work, even if they have added a
pretty install and new functionality.

--
Mike Richards
mrichard@tampabay.rr.com