Re: [SLUG] Domain & Free Host -- Linux Friendly

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 19:24:36 EDT

Try http://www.dns2go.com

They just took control of the dynamic DNS services for myip.org. I had been
using myip.org for a while (still am as a matter of fact) until Deerfield.com
took control about a month or so ago.

Their service is kinda slick (and free I might add). They have a Linux client
for download on their site. They also have mail services available for a fee.
All the info is on their web site. Its really the easiest way to run an
internet server of any kind on your box. You can even choose from names like
"?????.linux-dude.[com|net]" or "?????.linux-site.net"

Check it out, it might be the solution your looking for.

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net

On Tuesday 01 May 2001 10:06 am, you wrote: > I don't know if it matters who I use as far as Linux-friendly is > concerned, but ... > > I need to shag a domain name really quickly, hopefully today, > and also find a reliable free hosting service (it will be a low > traffic site, at least initially). > > Any suggestions as to the least expensive way to get this > done? (I don't care if it is .com, .net. .cc, .org, etc.) > > If there is not a Linux-friendly preference for the choice of > a free domain hosting service then you probably should > respond to me off-list. > > Thanks in advance! Doc