Re: [SLUG] Linux vs FUD

From: Bpreece (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 23:21:00 EDT

Well I am not going to turn this into a politics disscussion but here is
somethings
that is needing some clearing up with Corporate Execs.

1. Not tested ---- Hum , N.A.S.A. , Burlington Coat factory , AT&T ,
Boeing AirCraft , Raytheon , Verizons , and Home Depot use
Linux. These are Multibillion dollar companys. Burlington Coat Factory,
and Home Depot are doing Sales , Inventory , and Networking all on Linux.
In fact Home Depot just dumped over $10,000,000,00 into Linux based system
because Microsoft could not come up with a solution that would work for
them.

2, New?--- While the advances is not new Linux has already been around
for a long time. It is now starting to show companys that they can make
a sucessfull bussiness model with it. Also note that most popular
applications are porting to Linux, S.A.P. and Oracle. These are two
very high standard Database companys who are industry standard.
S.A.P. will be only supporting Linux in less then 1 and a half years.

3. Security oh boy. Just today on ZDnet the oh mighty Microsoft has yet
another security flaw with IIS. Every version of IE, Windows , or Windows
products has been found with a security flaw. In fact you can research this
by going to any search engin and typing the product name and security.

4. Cost of training well this is with any new technology. For instance. at
my
work we have Novell engineers who blasted Microsoft all the time.
Well they dd not know the product. Then they were told hey you have to learn
Microsoft well they had to be trained. So this does not hold water.

5. Most of the Internet Servers run Linux with Apache.

6. Security - if you are not root most time you can not damage a system,
also security patches are out in hours not days weeks and months.

7. Development- applications come out in months versus years.

MS-Side of the Coin that most take who are non-Linux Users.

1. The name has gotten big cause of their marketing tactics. Thus most
feel safe with their products cause they are familiar with that name.

2. Most software that you see retail is Written for their platform.

3. They feel it is a breeze to use and easy to get productive in the
shortest time.
Thus the ole desktop. The wonderfull world of point click.

4. They can get training in more locations.

5. Most systems sold come with Microsoft WIndows. This is again because of a
marketing stradegy.

6. Microsoft offers alot of solutions support.

7. Only Microsoft makes Windows. So there for they claim it is not
fragmented.

You see you can go back and foward. As for not being ready for the desktop I
have to say that
that depends on what you call ready. If you start out only using Linux not a
problem. Same holds the
same with any Os. You can ask Robin 'ROBLIMO" Miller and Tina you can work
and use Linux.

Ed can say this his Wife fianlly agreed to change to Linux.

While I still have to use Windows for Work to run the apps we have at home
and learn with I have to use it.
Other wise if we had a Linux solution in place or they would let me use it I
could perform my same task
that I do every day.

It is a hard sell so I will say this in short come to our show on the 30th
and 31st. So that way they can see the
strong points while Microsoft is showing off Office Xp.