[SLUG] need some guidance, had a scare last night.

From: patrick grantham (pwgrant@mailandnews.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 08:41:59 EDT

On by box running suse 7.1, a seconday-slave hard disk failed. When I
removed it, linux failed to load normally. It was indeed a hardware
failure. The platters sounded as though they were not reaching the normal
speed, before resetting, continually. During the load attempts it was noted
that the drive may be missing. For the life of me, I could not figure out
how to update the system such that this drive no longer exists. I had to
dig out of a box, an old West Dig IDE attach it for the system to boot
normally. I realize my inexperience at this level shows, but what do you do
to completely remove a drive "properly?"

primary master ide-hdd /dev/hda
primary slave ide-cdr /dev/hdb
sec master ide-tape /dev/hdc
sec slave ide-hdd /dev/hdd (failed hdd)

Second question:
As shown above the secondary master is a Segate IDE tape drive. Segate
requires it to be a master. What's the process for mounting and writing to
the drive. FAQs and HOW-TOs don't seem to be helping me.