Re: [SLUG] Mandrake 8

From: patrick (patrick@llc.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 08:35:04 EDT

On Tuesday 01 May 2001 06:20 pm, you wrote:
> I've been using it for about a week now, and I have mixed reactions.
>
> On one hand it's still the easy to use Linux distro that I've loved since
> 6.1.
>
> On the other, it won't recognize my SoundBlaster AWE64 soundcard (which has
> worked just fine in every previous Mandrake version) and the fonts are
> really really screwed up on some of the apps, like Netscape or Quanta so
> that the text is almsot unreadable. These are new problems to 8.0 which I
> never had to deal with with previous versions, so I'm a little dissapointed
> in it.

i would suggest bitstream charter as the font. and turn on
alising. im not sure about netscape but at least once
use Konquerer as your brower. the look to your pages will
astound u. i dont understand mandrake not finding and
installing your soundcard. i have a soudblaster and it
works fine and i have been to the deja group for mandrake
and it seems the awe-64 seems to work fine too.
also are u aware that in Konqurer u can adjust the size
of the text using the plus magnifying glass. its incredible.
not all pages can i do this but on many i can actually
increase the font size of the url by clicking the magnifying
glass , sometimes even several times. this comes in
handy for me when i go to places like anandtech and
others that i do a lot of reading.