[SLUG] Confirming NPR Meeting & Linux Questions

From: edoc (kd4e@arrl.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 15:03:56 EDT

Do I have it correct that the May 5th SLUG Meeting is this Saturday
from 1-3PM at the library in NPR?

A friend came by and we have the desktop running on Linux-Debian-Stormix.
The 3com 10/100 nic is working, as is the Viking modem. We have Internet
access too!

Questions:

1. We have yet to figure out how to break out of the Stormix/KDE x-windows
and get to the Linux equivalent of a command line. (What is it called in
Linux-speak?)
We could get to the boot: prompt with ctrl-x before x-windows started but
that
did not appear to be what we need. Help?

2. I had been using coax with the old 3com cards which allowed for hanging
devices end-to-end on the network. Does the use of RG-45 (which is the only
option on this 3com nic) mean that I will need a router box or the like? If
so I
may switch back to the older card ... don't need more devices!

3. I want to avoid the MS and AOL/Netscape browsers. I have read that the
newest KDE browser is a good one and someone here mentioned Enlightenment as
an alternative to KDE ... and I believe it is also a browser. I am used to
MS
Internet Explorer and Outlook Express but will use whatever provides similar
functionality ... at improved stability under Linux. Suggestions & reasons,
please?
Need to get off this MS box!

4. I am told that so long as we are stuck with 56k dialup as our only
option that
the server pc may be set to dialup on demand from any pc connecting via the
lan
and requesting Internet services. Anyone doing this with success?

5. I am considering making the server desktop a Web server. Should I build
minimal pc with a modem and use it as the Internet firewall and lightning
"fuse"
between the phone line and my server? (I've been looking for an 80 foot
length
of fiber and a couple of fiber nics so I could really isolate the phone line
and
modem from the rest of the network ... so far no joy at a price I could
afford ...
may consider a shorter run ... 30-40 feet or so if necessary. Ideas?)

Thanks! Doc